See other Impact Gamers projects you can support. Click here
Working with children in hospices or end of life care. Creating a legacy from their imagination. 1 child, 1 staff, support from multiple volunteers (per course)
This project holds a special place in our heart.
We get a referral for a young person who has been diagnosed with a long term or terminal illness.
We arrange weekly visits via the parents/carers to either the hospital or the child’s home where we help the child design their very own computer game.
They will be involved with the theme, story, artwork, game-play, level design and coding (depending on ages and abilities).
During the week we co-ordinate volunteer students (From computer games design courses) to help put the child’s ideas into place, for the child to review the next week.
The project will run for 6-18 weeks depending on the child’s circumstances.
By the end of the project they will have a certificate and finished game that can be published online for mobile devices or for PC as a lasting legacy.
Project running costs are £500 per child worked with (£7,000 for a full year of funding for 15 children)
Projects can start at any point
We don’t feel it appropriate to get the parents to fund this project, but see it as a great gift for organisations or others to fund.
Benefits of the project for the child/family
- A positive distraction at a very traumatic time of their life
- A thing for them to focus on and plan for during the week
- A chance for their ideas to be shared with the world
- Raise the profile of those living with the same illness
- A legacy left
Benefits of the project for the funder
- A chance to use their funds to benefit some of the most needy
- Have their name credited on the game
- Get weekly updates
- Be tagged in our social media posts relating to the games creation
- Be involved in making a huge difference
- A warm fuzzy feeling inside